SCRIPT SECRETS SEMINAR *
BIG IDEA: CLASS SCHEDULE
* Formerly Naked ScreenwritingNow with The Thematic - the most powerful screenwriting tool I've ever created! Start with a story idea or a character, and it will take you step-by-step, finding the perfect supporting characters, amazing dramatic scenes, dialogue that works on more than one level, actions that show emotional conflict, and more. Thematic uses your story's theme to generate the other elements of the story, creating the template for a tightly focused character and theme based screenplay. This is not a machine or a formula, but a unique way to look at writing your screenplay.
Refocused for 2012! SCRIPT SECRETS: THE BIG IDEA - For 2012 we'll be using the movie GHOST as our primary example, with clips from that film as well as NORTH BY NORTHWEST, THE MATRIX, AIRPLANE, THE BIG SLEEP and DILLINGER.
DAY 1, 9am - 6pm - FOUNDATIONS
Who wants to read a well written script with a boring idea? How to use magnification to create stories that are high concept yet personal. The connection between plot and character. Pacing your script - do you have enough story? Backstory and foreshadowing. How theme connects all of the elements in your script. Examples will include GHOST, THE MATRIX, BODY HEAT and MEMENTO.
INTRO: What is a Movie? - Why the movie experience is a shared dream.
1) Ideas - Movie ideas, novel ideas, stage play ideas - can you tell the difference? Where do you get your ideas? 15 fresh places to find great script ideas. Brainstorming - Methods for creatiung original ideas from nothing. Finding the RIGHT idea for your script. High Concept is MY concept - a story you are passionate about that producers will be passionate about.
2) Developing Ideas - Finding your personal connection to an idea, or growing a high concept idea from your personal experiences. Magnification, finding the core idea. How your idea creates the story, characters, subplots, theme, scenes and everything else!
3) The Thematic - Creating story and character from concept - how to find and use theme... then use that theme to map out your characters, scenes, dialogue, actions and more! Theme is the center of a great screenplay, so all of the other elements are spokes that grow from there.
4) Story - The 10 critical elements of any story. Growing story from character... or character from story. How story works. The connection between story and character. Internal and external conflicts.
5) Structure & Pacing - Structure: traditional 3 Acts to Structural Freaks. 7 alternate structures for your screenplay. How the traditional 3 Act structure REALLY works - why it's been used for over 2,400 years. Using 3 Act structure to tell non-traditional stories like MEMENTO and RUN, LOLA, RUN. 5 techniques to improve pacing... and why pacing is critical to every screenplay. "Genre juice" and pacing.
6) Creating Your Protagonist - 12 ways to make your lead character likeable. 20 character building techniques for protagonists. Why *you* are your protagonist.
7) Bringing Your Protagonist To Life - The 3 best techniques to make your protagonists three-dimensional. Emotional and physical conflict - why you need both!
8) Emotion Pictures - A good script emotionally involves the reader. How to involve the audience by using reversals, suspense, and plot twists. How to create audience participation through choices.
DAY 2, 9am - 6pm - ADVANCED TECHNIQUES
Now that we have our story, characters, and theme... it's time to put them to work! Proven techniques use by professional writers to make their scripts *great*! You'll learn how to heighten drama by using contrast. How to use slang, jargon, subtext, banter and non-verbal dialog. Demonstration, symbolism, leitmotifs, and other ways to tell stories with pictures. How to sell your script - the difference between agents and managers. Finding the right producer for your screenplay. Examples will include GHOST, BREAKING AWAY, THE MATRIX, VERTIGO, and THE GODFATHER PART 2.
1) Your First Ten Pages - Hooks, lures, kickers, string theory. Six basic ways to start your screenplay - the opening scene. The 12 critical elements of your first ten pages - do you have them all?
2) Creating Your Supporting Cast - Creating distinctive speech patterns for each character. Over 10 character building techniques for supporting characters - how to make them individual and memorable.
3) Suplots & Instant Identifiers for Characters - Vivid supporting characters and the subplot prism. How to keep subplots from taking over.
4) Advanced Dialogue - 5 ways to create original dialogue... by making up your own words! Over 20 techniques to make your dialogue sing. 5 ways to remove OTN (on the nose) dialogue.
5) Thinking In Pictures - Visual characterization and visual story telling - 12 tools you can use today!
6) Creating Satisfying Endings - 14 types of endings for your screenplay - which is best for YOUR script? 5 critical elements that ALL screenplay endings need.
7) Rewriting Your Script - 4 techniques for exploding cliches. Polishing and preparing your script for market - 30 rewrite tips!
8) Marketing Your Screenplay - 25 methods to build your career... things you can do TODAY! What does Hollywood want? Writing scripts that sell. How to sell even without an agent or manager.
FADE OUT: How YOU can live in the dream world - writing movies that actually get made!
SCHEDULE REGISTER PAYMENT METHODS GETTING THERE STUDENT FEEDBACK WHO SHOULD ATTEND INSTRUCTOR
I got more from your class than any other.
- R. Sharp
Very practical information presented in an easygoing, approachable manner. With his no-nonsense presentation and nuts-and-bolts approach, Bill Martell demystifies the often obfuscated process of screenwriting. Using concrete examples from classic movies and recent blockbusters, Bill takes the "woo-woo" out of the art of writing for film and replaces it with solid craft.
- K. Sandler
Want a brochure and registration form? E-mail me your postal address: Send Me A Registration Form!
Show Me The Monkey! The new Script Secrets *Typing Monkey* logo is here! He's busy working on PLANET OF THE APES 2... but you can have him *now* on a coffee cup or sweat shirt or messenger bag! I drink my morning coffee from a Script Secrets Monkey mug. Would you like a Script Secrets Typing Monkey mug of your own? The Script Secrets Store is OPEN!
SCRIPT SECRETS STORE
What screenwriters do you absolutely hate? What films are over-rated? Is DECK THE HALLS one of the signs that the world is about to end? Be heard: Movie Discussion!
My friend Jeff Burr's new movie is SAVING PRIVATE RYAN meets FREAKS!
CLASSES ON CD! Five Classes are ready to ship on audio CD: GUERRILLA MARKETING YOUR SCRIPT: NO AGENT? NO PROBLEM!, WRITING HORROR, WRITING THRILLERS (2 CD set), WRITING INDIES and IDEAS & CREATIVITY. Classes on CD - Click Here!
IDEAS AND CREATIVITY - 80 minute CD packed with information. Tools to find ideas that are both personal *and* commercial. How to turn your personal story into a blockbuster - or find your personal story in a high concept idea. Brainstorming and being creative. Ideas and Creativity is $10.00 (plus $5 S&H)
WRITING INDIES - Writing an Indie film? This class covers everything you need to know - from Central Locations to Confined Cameos. Using examples from SWINGERS, THE COOLER, STATION AGENT and others, this 80 minute CD is packed with information. How Indoe films challenge the audience (while mainstream films reassure the audience). Structures, using BOYS DON'T CRY, RUN LOLA RUN, HILARY & JACKIE, and others as example. Writing for a budget, writing for non-actors, getting the most production value out of your budget. Writing Indies is $10.00 (plus $5 S&H)
WRITING THRILLERS - a TWO CD Class - The first CD covers the essentials of a thriller screenplay, using examples from MINORITY REPORT, NORTH BY NORTHWEST, BOURNE IDENTITY, BREAKDOWN, THE LADY VANISHES, THE GAME and THREE DAYS OF THE CONDOR as primary examples - what do all of those films have in common? This CD will tell you! Part Two covers the 20 iconic scenes in Thriller films, and explains how suspense works using MINORITY REPORT as an example and how plot twists work using BOURNE SUPREMACY and other films. Writing Thrillers: Two CD Class - $20.00 (plus $5 S&H)
Coming in 2007: The NAKED SCREENWRITING CLASS! The 2001 London Class on 8 CDs! Recorded *live* the morning after the Raindance Film wrapped. Over ten of the sixteen hours of class, plus a workbook, plus some sort of bonus CD... all for one reasonable price!
Click here for more information on CLASS CDs!
To discuss this Script Tip or ask a question, check out the Message Boards - and the FINAL DESTINATION 4 game in the game section!Return To Menu
Blue Books Script Library Links Book Store Lectures Message Boards Bill's Corner
copyright 2011 by William C. Martell